Print this page

News

The Settler's Arms Inn Shelford


This hotel, the “Settlers Arms Inn” once stood beside the river crossing at Shelford.

It was built in 1843 by a sea Captain, Francis Ormond and  was demolished in 1983 to make way for the present bridge. 

Francis junior was 14 when they arrived and he helped his father build the Inn, before moving out to Piggoreet and later “Borriyalloak” at Skipton.

The family made a fortune from their sheep after gold was discovered and Francis spent a lifetime devoted to improving the facilities for education.

Francis built Ormond College at Melbourne University, and RMIT, then known as “The Working Men’s College”. He also paid for the formation of the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music, the first in the British Commonwealth. He contributed generously to the “Gordon” in Geelong as well as many other local institutions.

The “Ormond’s of Borriyalloak” is the first full biography of this remarkable family. Members of the greater family once owned either the grazing leases or the freehold of “Native Creek” (Woolbrook), Berrybank, Mt Gow, Piggoreet West, Gnarpurt, Wooriwyrite, Borriyalloak, Stonehenge, Avalon, and built or owned Langley Park at Sutherland’s Creek and Rannoch House in Geelong and Eggoleen in Toorak

It is written by local author Edward (Ted) Stephens from Shelford.  E J & D Stephens Pty Ltd have published the book which is beautifully presented and includes 240 pages and over 60 photographs from the district. It is available for $40 plus postage from the publishers at 81 Clarence Street, Geelong West 3218, or call 03 5221 2070. 

It will be available on the internet from 8th December for $40 at www.francisormond.com 

Or at the Bannockburn Newsagency.